12 MARCH 2018 – GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCEMENT: MINDED-TO DECISION TO CREATE A SINGLE UNITARY COUNCIL FOR BUCKINGHAMSHIRE
County Council Leader, Martin Tett, on the government’s minded-to decision:
- One stop shop for residents and businesses to access all council services across Buckinghamshire.
- All services under one chief executive, leading to more joined-up thinking and better services.
- Easier to set up as vast majority of services already delivered on a county-wide basis.
- Saves taxpayers millions of pounds at a time of severe financial pressures.
- Massively increases efficiency, buying power and economies of scale.
- Opportunity to sell buildings no longer in use, raising millions to invest in residents’ priorities.
- Local people with local knowledge in control of local services.
- Clearer link between councillors, parishes and local community activists.
- Partnership offer giving parish and town councils the option of taking on more services.